Zydeco half-marathon = mission accomplished

After all the obsessing I did over the weather last week, it turned out to be a great day for a race. It did not rain and the temperature was in the 50s. I liked the fact that there were aid stations and water stops at nearly every mile, plenty of bathroom stops and lots of people cheering along the course. For me, seeing people along the course is a great distraction!

For my pre-race dinner, I cooked shrimp scampi since it’s a light sauce but is still pasta. I was also concerned about having to wake up so early the morning of the time change so I went to bed at 9:30 p.m. I was actually tired and surprisingly slept until my alarm went off at 4:45 a.m. (which was really 3:45 if the time had not changed).

2015-03-07 14.07.522015-03-07 21.14.20

I got up, drank a half a cup of coffee then ate a banana and half of a bagel with peanut butter. I had picked out my outfit the night before and had even attached my race bib to my shirt, so getting dressed didn’t take much time. After I dressed, I decided my aqua and orange shirt did not match my red headband so I changed into a green shirt. I put on some sunscreen and a little bit of makeup (I wanted to look somewhat cute in my race pics!), used the bathroom, brushed my teeth and left home for 6 a.m.

Once I got to the starting area for the race, I met up with my Training Wheels boot camp group (there were about 50 of us!) and we took a quick picture before heading to our race corrals. Nicole (my friend I trained with for the half) and I decided we should use the bathroom before beginning the race so went to the back of a really long line – there were about 20 people ahead of us. We were still in line when they sang the national anthem and announced the start of the race. I was going into panic mode because I thought we were going to be late to the start, however, we were in the 10 to 11 minute group so made it to our corral in time.

2015-03-09 11.19.05

The energy we had was amazing and we just cruised along with no problem – talking, laughing and running. We actually started off quicker than I thought we would and I worried that we may have gone out too fast but it all worked out. Our breakdown each mile was:

Mile 1 – 9:59

Mile 2 – 10:08

Mile 3 – 10:08

Mile 4 – 9:55

Mile 5 – 9:54

Mile 6 – 12:46 (bathroom break and there was a line)

Mile 7 – 9:39 (had to make up time we lost for bathroom break!!)

Mile 8 – 10:08

Mile 9 – 10:11

Mile 10 – 10:18

Mile 11 – 10:29

Mile 12 – 10:31

Mile 13 to 13.1 – 10:36

Looking at those stats, I’m thinking next half I train for I would like to do a couple more longer runs to try and maintain a pace closer to a 10 minute mile.


Smiling for the camera!




My husband was there around mile 7 to cheer for me along with other members of the Training Wheels group who were not running the race.

Crossing finish line - don't think I saw that camera!

Crossing finish line

Once I crossed the finish line and posed for a couple pics we headed to the after race party where I ate a bowl of jambalaya and drank a beer before heading home.

Me and Nicole right after finishing.

Me and Nicole right after finishing.

Another post race pic

Another post race pic


It was also my son’s 14th birthday so we took him to eat hibachi then had red velvet cake! Great ending to a great day!


Post race and birthday celebration

Post race and birthday celebration

Happy Birthday Justin!

Happy Birthday Justin!




Share This:Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestlinkedin
This entry was posted in Fitness.

Leave a Reply